Thursday, July 7, 2011

More on chapter 1

Chapter one did a great job introducing the importance and meaning of nonfiction text, but it also talked about some strategies that I feel are important for classroom application. I have decided to do an additional blog on chapter one so that I could include some of the strategies that were mentioned.
One of the strategies discussed was whole class reading instruction. It seems that teachers have moved away from whole class instruction and have moved towards small group instruction, especially for reading instruction. In chapter one the authors describe how whole group instruction can be beneficial as long as lessons are well planned. Students should be well prepared for learning. In whole group students can be taught how to read nonfiction and apply what they learn to their lives.  “Preparation and guided exploration should accompany the learning before, during, and after the reading.” (p. 13)  This quote is important because it expresses the importance of teacher lead and guide instruction during the whole group lessons. Below I have provided some of the important aspects of a lesson according to the authors.
Pre-Reading
Activating and building background knowledge.
Motivating the learners.
Setting a purpose for reading
Discussing the access features of the text
Providing an overview of the text
During Reading- assisting readers with the following
Locating information
Recording information
Skimming the text
Reading purposefully to answer questions or discover information
Summarizing
Visualizing
Rereading
Creating Vocabulary lists
Answering questions
After Reading-Assisting readers with the following              
Answering questions
Summarizing
Recording what was learned
Reporting what was learned
Discussing the context
Applying/Extending the context
I feel that these are important to include in our read alouds. Many times I think that we think of read alouds as being narratives, and picture books. Nonfiction materials also provide great resources for read alouds, and in some ways I feel that it is important to teach students how to interact with nonfiction texts. The book will expand on the concept of read aloud in future chapters.
The chapter also introduces the importance of teaching students how to write expository text. Proving exemplary nonfiction pieces for students to use as models can assist with lessons on expository writing. These writing examples can be many different materials such as news articles, reports, memoirs, reports etc.  This was an eye opener for me. I have always had my students to expository writing, but I usually wait towards the end of the school year, and limited it to a few assignments. I always struggle with making my students understand what I am expecting from them. I never thought about proving examples for them from sources outside the classroom.
I am really enjoying this book. I am excited to learn more and apply the strategies in the upcoming school year.  



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I think that whole group instruction is very important. In my classroom I start with whole group and work down to small group instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the list on the important aspects of a lesson. I agree with your final sentence as well. I am very much looking forward to applying what I have learned in the text I am reading to my classroom. Maybe I will end up picking up this book that you are reading now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete