Chapter 8
Like all assessment, assessment of nonfiction learning is not completely concrete. In the past assessment was looked at as something you do after a lesson to see what they may have learned. Today teachers are encouraged to use assessment to drive instruction. In this chapter the authors describe various ways in which to assess nonfiction learning.
Observing and kid watching was the first form of assessment that the authors described. I think that is something that we all do instinctively but I don’t think that we inquire like we should. The chapter stated that it is important to ask questions that will help us gain an understanding to what they have learned. The chapter also talked a lot about the importance of listening to kids read aloud nonfiction books, have them retell what they have learned and talk about strategies they have used in their reading. Just watching them work and interacting with one another is another great way to assess student learning. The chapter provided a check list that I felt was interesting. It listed specific behaviors that the teacher was expecting to see and how often the behavior was observed.
Rubrics were another form of assessment that the authors mentioned. I have always liked to use rubrics because it allows students to know exactly what the expectations are. The chapter talked about using the rubric for students to assess their own learning.
The chapter also talked about retelling as a way to collect information about comprehension and understanding. Teachers can script the retelling and ask specific comprehension questions.
Interview, surveys and inventories are an opportunity for students to talk about their learning. This gives teachers some insight into student’s metacognitive skills. Student self-evaluations, think alouds, and portfolios are all ways for students to reflect on their own learning along with the teacher.
I feel that I have learned a lot from this book and I am planning on rereading parts of it as I plan for a new school year.
No comments:
Post a Comment