Chapter 6
In this chapter the authors have described graphic organizers, and explained how they can be used most appropriately. In my classroom I have often used graphic organizers, but it seems that I often fall back on the same old ones year after year. I liked that this chapter because it describes the reason for using the graphic organizers as well as using them efficiently.
The chapter has provided a list of the benefits of using graphic organizers with nonfiction, these are the ones that I found most important. “Serves as a means for teachers to plan instruction and for students to plan and organize their reading, writing, projects, reports, oral presentations and so on. Provide teachers with the opportunity and structures to teach effective learning strategies, Helps students and teachers focus on what is important.” (p.142) the last reasoning is the one I found most important. I think that sometimes we get overwhelmed with information. I think that it is important to point out what is really pertinent information, and filter out all the rest.
This chapter did a great job describing the different types of graphic organizers. I had never given much thought to the different organizers and how they are used.
Conceptual graphic organizers are helpful when centering ideas on one main idea. These graphic organizers help writers organize their main idea and include supporting details. There are three types of these conceptual graphic organizers, topical or semantic webs, concept/definition maps and profile charts. Webs break topics down into subtopics. Concept/definition maps help students gain an understanding of an idea or word. “Profile charts are charts used to help students locate and organize information about political and historical figures, family members, and their own city, states, country, animals, and so on.” (p.146)
Comparison/Contrast graphic organizers are graphic organizers that allow students an opportunity to look at the differences and similarities of a subject.
Hierarchical graphic organizers describe a topic and the levels that contribute to it.
Cyclical organizers deal with topic that have no beginning and no end.
Sequential graphic organizers are used with subjects that have a beginning and an end.
Graphic organizers are important in classrooms. I think that they are a great key to develop critical thinking skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment