Chapter 5
The chapter talks about writing nonfiction. One aspect of writing nonfiction is writing in the content area. Writing can enhance understanding of content materials. In this chapter the author talks about using the writing process along with quality instruction to teach students how to produce high quality nonfiction writing, and how to use writing as a strategy to increase understanding in the contend area. Many times in the classroom we tend to focus on storytelling and narrative writing, and teachers tend to focus on the product.
It is in the writing process that writing instruction and learning can take place. This is where students become better writers. In order to produce a quality piece of written material you must master your form. In this chapter the authors stated that , purpose + audience= From. Often time’s students are writing for us, the teacher. I feel that it is important for students to have a clear understanding of who they are writing for. I know that this is something that I often leave out in my writing instruction. I know that I also don’t spend enough time talking about writing purpose with my students. I really like this formula and plan on making a poster of it to hang in my classroom.
In the past I have tried to teach my students author’s purpose, but I always focused on, to entertain, inform or persuade. In this chapter the authors describe many nonfiction purposes and their forms. These purposes include, to describe, to instruct, command, direct, or request, to persuade, to explain, to retell information about people or events, to invite reflection, to predict or hypothesize, to inform or advise, and to explore, and maintain relationships with others. The chapter also listed examples of forms in which these purposes could be written in, for example to describe could be, reports, letters, captions, brochures… etc.
The chapter also described some interesting organizational patterns that could be used with the students. In the past I have always done the writers workshop model, and focused on three paragraph assignments with one main idea and supporting details. In the chapter the authors describe how to teach students about subject and thesis, reasons and arguments, and summery and conclusion. I found this interesting and plan to use it with my students.
This chapter provided many great examples of lessons and activities that I am planning on doing with my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment