Saturday, June 18, 2011

Until recently blogging was a new concept for me. My experience with blogging was limited to product review sites, and Facebook. (Which I am not even completely sure is actual blogging.)  I am beginning to see that this is an area of technology that I can longer ignore.
I have taken sometime to actually look at some blogs and there is a lot more to it than I ever knew.  I have enjoyed looking into subjects that I find interesting and finding that there is a wealth of information on all subjects. An area that I find incredibly interesting is the world of travel. I have always wanted to be able to have adventures all over the world, of course this has not really happened for me, but a girl can dream. I have spent a lot of time looking at various web sites that talk about places I would like to visit, but have never paid attention to the blogs. Now that I have forced myself to take time to actually read them, I have found that blogs are actually a wealth of information. I have found out about places that are not always obvious to the average tourist as well as travel suggestions and advice. I am happy to say that there is a lot of good information on the subject of travel, and as I read  I am finding that these detestations may not be as unattainable as I had once thought.
The blog that I found most interesting was http://intelligenttravel.nationalgeographic.com/.  I found this site absolutely fascinating. Travelers post pictures and blog about their traveling experiences. The pictures were breath taking and truly grabbed my attention. Not to sound cliché, but it did make me feel like the world was at my fingertips.
As a teacher I am excited to introduce some of the blogging type resources to my students. I had never thought of using the internet as a way of making home to school connects, most because I am leery of the dangers of the internet. This semester I am excited about learning about Wiki. I think this would be a great resource to use with my students, giving them the opportunity to respond to assignments, i.e. a class story from home.  Another resource that I have recently learned about is http://wowlit.org.  This is a site that we are using in a class that allows us to respond to our reading in a blog. It is fascinating to be able to read what others have felt about a selection, I also feel that I am getting more out of what I read by discussing in the on line group.
At this point I am not even sure if these are resources that are available to educators to use with their students, but I am excited to find out more.  

3 comments:

  1. That National Geographic blog is fascinating.
    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the WOWLIT site too. It has been fun reading what others think about a book we have all been reading. I think we are all having some adjustments to using all this technology, but I think once we get starting, it may become hard to stop...we may even start to LIKE it...think about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macky, I feel the same way about blogging. I have not used it a great deal and I feel as though it is an great avenue for students to express themselves as well as to find out information from otheres.

    ReplyDelete